Owl Image

Took T T and Taxim Injection after rat bite. Is it required to get anti rabies injection?

Good

Psychiatrist
Question
Dear Doctor

Our grand Ma is aged about 70 years and she is not diabatic.
Yesterday she .was bitten by domestic rat at our home at upper part of thumb portion( right hand)
I rushed to neares primary medical center they adminstrated injection T T and Injection Taxim 250.
Now she is ok.
Is it required to give antirabies injection for her(which is given for dog bites)
Is there any additional treatment is required or is this ok?
Please do advise me.

Yours XXXXXXX
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Theoretically, yes every bite by a wild animal in which the animal cannot be observed should receive category 2 or 3 treatment for rabies.

But going by my personal experience, I would like to state that in India, many people are bitten by rats daily and none of them have been reported to have developed rabies by rat bite. In short it is very very very rare.

Even the national guidelines state that "It should be noted that bites by rats, mice, squirrel, hare and rabbits seldom require treatment". So you can probably spare your grandmother from the treatment by anti rabies vaccination.

All said, any medication can cause any side-effects. So why to treat when not required so badly. May be some assurance to your grandmother regarding such a negligible risk of developing rabies by rat bite may make her feel better.

You can just look for the fever meanwhile. The treatment that was given to your grandmother of TT Injection and Taxim (cefexime) injection is alright. She needs to continue with oral medications until the wound if any heals properly.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you. In case if you don't have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you and your grandmother a good health.