• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a raised mark on the leg

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello - this morning I was disposing of a raccoon that had been attacking our chickens. The raccoon was acting normally and doing what you would expect, i.e. hunting chickens, eating and then trying to get out of the cage. While carrying the cage, she reached out and grazed my leg with her claws. There was not any blood, just a graze that left a red, un-raised mark. I washed with soap and water within about 3 minutes. Should I be concerned about rabies? My understanding is that saliva is necessary, even if she was rabid.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I think you should consult a physician.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to healthcaremagic.

I have seen your photograph. According to it, it is not indicating that you have got any scratch. The rabies is transmitted by a bite or scratch.

If you had got a scratch which has healed and which is not evident on the photograph now, tgen it is better to consult a physician and take post exposure prophylaxis. About 30 percent of raccoon carry rabies virus. So, better to be on a safer side.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 27 minutes later
Hi Dr thank you for your response. This just happened this morning so there hasnt been anything that healed. If you look closely in the photo you can see a little red mark. I guess a question is what constitutes a scratch capable of introducing rabies? Would it need to draw blood? There wasn't any blood in my case.

I added a second picture with the area circled. As you can see, it is very faint and only happened a few hours ago.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I think you should take antirabies prophylaxis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think you should take antirabies prophylaxis. You have got grade 1 scratch. It generally doesn't lead to rabies, but it's better to get a prophylaxis.

Also take a tetanus toxoid injection if not taken in last 5 years.

Hope I have answered your question.
Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist