Test showed lymphocytes 47, ESR 32, cholesterol 22, g-glutamyl transferase 388. What does this mean?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My recent (Nov 17) Blood Biochemistry reveals SGPT 180, SGOT 171, HDL 29, LDL 157. I have been operated for gallstone desease four years back. What could the above results mean? In July the cholestrol results were normal. SGOT was 53 and SGPT 75. In Feb, SGOT 84 & SGPT 94. Please diagnose and provide remedial measures. My blood Pressure is normal and have no history of diabeties
On the date of test, 17-Nov, i was recovering from viral fever and was on Crocin and cough syrup the night before. Other abnormal test parameters include Lymphocytes 47, ESR 32, Cholestrol Total 221, G-Glutamyl Transferase 388 and C-Reactive Protein 21.1.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

In terms of the cholesterol results the HDL is low (should be greater than 40).The LDL goal is based on the presence of certain conditions and risk factors. If a person has a history of coronary heart disease, diabetes, poor circulation, dilation of abdominal aorta or symtoms of disease of a blood vessel in the neck called the carotid then the LDL should be less 100.
After determining whether any of the above are present then the number of risk factors present are determined.The risk factors are age (male older than 45), family history of heart disease (a female in your family with heart disease before age 65 and a male before age 55),smoking, history of high blood pressure and a low HDL. If you have 0 or 1 of these and none of the diseases mentioned before then you LDL should be less than 160. If you have 2 or more of these then your LDL should be less than 130.

You can improve your cholesterol profile through diet, exercise and medication if necessary.In terms of diet- using alot of fruits and vegetables-at least 5 servings a day, whole wheat products, substituting white flour/rice/bread/pasta for brown flour/rice/bread/pasta.It is recommended that persons exercise at least 150 minutes a week.

The ESR and C reactive protein are both elevated in the presence of an infection or inflammation and the high result are likely due to the viral illness that you were recovering from at the time.Your doctor may consider repeating them when you are completely well to make sure that they return to normal.

The liver function tests (SGPT, SGOT,GGT) are all elevated.They appear to have been increasing from February though they declined a little in July (though still slightly above normal).
These enzymes can be elevated under any circumstance of liver disease such as (1)fatty liver (fat is deposited in the liver), (2)side effect of medication such as chronic use of some pain killers, antibiotics, cholesterol medication, (3)infection of the liver as in hepatitis, (4)alcohol use (5) heart failure (6) bile duct obstruction

The treatment of the abnormal levels would depend on the cause.To determine the exact cause your doctor may suggest additional tests such as an ultrasound or CT of the liver, in some cases a biopsy may be necessary.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

We do not have heart ailments in family, although Father is having hypertension since his age of 65 years. My Lipid Profile was always within range except for the last results, occassionally Triglycerides were high but not above 200. Liver Function tests (SGPT/SGOT) had some high values in the past but not beyond 100. I have given up alcohol since Dec, 2006 and smoking since Nov, 1999. So substance abuse may be ruled out. I have been immunised for Hepatitis B and present Bilurubin count is about 0.8. I am not being medicated in the recent past. However, I do have a tendency to consume milk products including butter & ghee. Under these cicumstance can it be concluded that I have a fatty liver and the cholestrol abnormalities are also interlinked? What next do you recommend to recover the liver abnormalities? Am i at high risk of Coronary Heart Diseas?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

The risk factors are age greater than 45, smoker, family history of heart disease, hypertension and low HDL. Of these you have, according to the information you have given, only the low HDL , which means you have 1 risk factor.

With one risk factor you LDL goal would be less than 160, yours is 157. IF you can get it lower that would be good but at present based on your low level of risk,it is at goal.

It is possible that the liver results are due to fatty liver this would confirmed by imaging studies that would show the fatty deposits.The only way to confirm to the reason for the elevation would be further studies such as a CT scan or ultrasound because elevated liver enzymes can occur in a number of different situations.

Feel free to ask any other questions
As you have suggested the diet for recovery of the Lipid Profile, can you please suggest the dietary corrections necessary to repair the liver function? Or what kind of food should be avoided to help the liver recover from any further damage?? Can the liver function be corrected with lifestyle changes or initially is it better to go for some medication??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Hi, if the liver disease is due to fatty liver, some improvement may occur by changing the diet to reduce fat deposition.
It has actually been found that some of the carbohydrates ingested are converted to fat in the body and this may be deposited in the liver.
By using healthy carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, eliminating sodas and fruit drinks, using brown rice/flour/pasta/bread but in reduced amounts because still carbohydrates).
If there is any excess weight, weight loss would improve fatty liver

Hope this helps, ask any other questions if you need to