Taking levothyroxin for hypothyroidism. Is it safe to take lemon balm extract?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I recently discovered Lemon Balm Extract and like using it. However, I have hypothyroidism and currently take Levothyroxin. Can Lemon Balm Extract safely be used in patients with hypothyroidism?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: No data Detailed Answer: There is no scientific evidence to support the use of the product you are referring to. The only medication recommended to treat hypothyroidism is levothyroxine which you are already taking. To the best of my knowledge there is no published literature that suggests using the product above for hypothyroidism. levothyroxine alone is sufficient