Taking bactrim for cellulitis in ankle and suffering from low grade fever. What is the cure?

Dr. Basheer Ahamed

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: Had cellulitis (ankle/foot) 6 wks ago, redness and infection cleared up within 2 week with bactrim but swelling and fever started after last dose so continued for another few weeks ...took last dose again this morning and have low gr fever tonight. Been elevating and icing every chance I can but everytime I lower it to walk swelling starts to pool again in ankle...thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis may not be adequately treated. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Presence of fever and swelling suggests than the infection is not completely treated or it may have spread deeper. Secondly the circulating bacterial toxins in the blood may also produce similar symptoms. The organism may be resistant to the antibiotic(Bactrim) and not responding to it. In this situation I would advise my patient to undergo some blood test and X ray to rule out spread of infection. Change to higher antibiotic for another two weeks and observe. Foot elevation and crepe bandage of the ankle. The common cause of recurrent cellulitis may be diabetes. Check your blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Basheer Ahamed 13 hours later
I had recent blood work which showed no infection or inflamation(crp/esr)..fever went away so i guess should our main concern be the reoccuring swelling whichfeels a bit warm ( everytime i try to walk on it swells but soon after ice and elevation it goes down)
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Musculoskeletal problem of the ankle. Detailed Answer: Hello, Good to hear the blood tests for infection and inflammation came out as negative. So the other possibility may be musculoskeletal problems related to ankle joint. I advise would be rest to the ankle, crepe bandaging, avoid weight bearing for at least a week. X ray/ MRI of the ankle will help to arrive at a diagnosis. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad