Taking antibiotic for typhoid fever. How safe is to drink scotch?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi! How it effects taking scotch regularly during thyphoid fever treatment with antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, alcohol gets metabolized in liver. Liver is also the place for metabolism of drugs like antibiotics. When liver is busy to metabolize the alcohol, it cannot metabolize the antibiotics. Thus, the effectiveness of drugs may get increased sometimes and cause toxic side effects. Some antibiotics fail to produce their active particle and thus fail to produce effectiveness.

Even some antibiotics may react with alcohol to produce toxic products and can cause huge side effects.

So, alcohol should be avoided during this type of illness when you are prescribed to take antibiotics.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.