Taking Throfit for TSH level. Getting headache and fatigue. Side effect?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I m 27 years old..Recenty i found that my TSH level is 22. I m taking 25 mcg Throfit tablet from past 1week..Still I have severe headache everyday morning and fatigue.Is this symptoms normal or should i go for any other test,like MRI etc? Also suggest me should I continue with the same medication or change it.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your TSH level is 22. That means you you are suffering from hypothyroidism. Your symptoms like headache and weakness are also supportive for hypothyroidism. They can happen in hypothyroidism.

Now, only treatment of hypothyroidism is to take thyroid hormone supplements. You are taking 25mcg. It is not sufficient. It should be increased up to 100 mcg step by step. You have to take it for rest of your life. It is the only treatment for hypothyroidism.

Regarding the headache, you can wait till the TSH level comes back to normal. As the medicine starts to work properly, you must experience some relief.

If you experience headache and other neurological symptoms like vision and hearing problem, you can consult with a neurologist for clinical examination and for ordering investigations required and also for further management.

So, right now, you do not need any other test like MRI. Just consult with an endocrinologist for more meticulous treatment.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

From past 2 days I am having severe pain in right side of chest and it is more painful when i turn or bend my neck.Is that anyway related to the thyroid probelm that I have ? I am worried about that.Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 7 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, your symptoms are indicative of costochondritis. It is not related with hypothyroidism by any means.

What you have to do are -
1. Take a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agent like diclofenac group of drug. Take pantoprazole group of anti acidic agent before taking the diclofenac group of drug.
2. Do some freehand exercise daily.
2. consult with an orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination to rule out any other neuromuscular abnormality and also for further management.

Lastly, this problem is not related with hypothyroidism.

Regards.