Taking T-20 injection to treat HIV for long time. Will it affect my bladder?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am HIV+ and have been for twenty some odd years and am wondering if my six drugs plus T-20 injection drug causes me to urinate frequently all through the night. I have had all of the tests to determine whether my prostate is okay, camera up the penis..........I forget the name to see if stones were the problem, physical exam of my prostate and my PSA is fine, no infection. Bottom line is, can the years I have been on HIV meds affect my bladder enough to disturb my sleep? I am almost at my wit's end. My doctor at Ian Charleson at Royal Free has never mentioned this so I am seeking a second opinion. I appreciate anything you may have to say on the subject. Thank you, XXXXXXX Wood. Could one cocktail a night be the culprit for maybe I have become intollerant of alcohol???
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I understand your problem and will try my best to address it.
First off, it's important to understand that as we get older, our bodies' ability to hold fluids for long periods decreases, thanks to a decline in antidiuretic hormones. So even though we're drinking the same amount, we have to go the bathroom more often. 

Since your prostate is normal,it could be due to over active bladder and consumption of more water and alcohol before your sleep.
I don't think that HIV medications are the culprit for your problem.

Here are strategies that can help relieve pressure on the bladder 

Don't  drink liquids for three hours before bedtime which includes alcohol.
Cut down consumption of coffee and tea, which irritate the bladder.
Avoid eating foods with high liquid content, such as soup or fruit, for dinner or after dinner.

I would advise you to consult a urologist and discuss with him about the issue of over active bladder.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks