Taking Bigomet for infertility. Now pregnant. Should i continue this medicine?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: HI, I am been taking Bigomet SR 500 twice a day. My Dr has asked me to take this as I was not able to concive. I am 11 months pregnanat now and still I am been asked to continue this medecine. Is it safe?Will this have any side effect on my baby and when should I stop this medicine and Can I stop this immediately?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I think there was a typing error and you mean to say that you are 1 month pregnant.

You may continue with Bigomet SR if it is more than a month you have been using it.
Recent studies have shown that continuing bigomet during pregnancy in patients of PCOS has a good pregnancy outcome.
It reduces risk of abortion and still birth.
Also the risk of gestational diabetes (diabetes in pregnancy) which occurs due altered insulin resistance in PCOS is taken care of by continuing this medicine in later half of pregnancy.

Bigomet is not associated with an increased risk of birth defects. It is safe in pregnancy. The FDA classifies it as a class B medication during pregnancy. This means animal studies show no toxicity or evidence of damage when fetuses are exposed to high doses of this drug.

You should not stop the medication abruptly.

Your gynecologist can decide upon stopping or continuing the medication depending on the severity of problems you had with PCOS.
As you say you were empirically started on PCOS without any symptoms or tests, you can reconsider using it further.

Also a thyroid test to estimate TSH levels is a must as they are usually associated with PCOS.

Do not forget to start FOLIC acid tablet which is a vitamin essential in pregnancy during first 3 months.