Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Taking Bigomet for infertility. Now pregnant. Should i continue this medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
HI, I am been taking Bigomet SR 500 twice a day. My Dr has asked me to take this as I was not able to concive. I am 11 months pregnanat now and still I am been asked to continue this medecine. Is it safe?Will this have any side effect on my baby and when should I stop this medicine and Can I stop this immediately?
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I think there was a typing error and you mean to say that you are 1 month pregnant.

You may continue with Bigomet SR if it is more than a month you have been using it.
Recent studies have shown that continuing bigomet during pregnancy in patients of PCOS has a good pregnancy outcome.
It reduces risk of abortion and still birth.
Also the risk of gestational diabetes (diabetes in pregnancy) which occurs due altered insulin resistance in PCOS is taken care of by continuing this medicine in later half of pregnancy.

Bigomet is not associated with an increased risk of birth defects. It is safe in pregnancy. The FDA classifies it as a class B medication during pregnancy. This means animal studies show no toxicity or evidence of damage when fetuses are exposed to high doses of this drug.

You should not stop the medication abruptly.

Your gynecologist can decide upon stopping or continuing the medication depending on the severity of problems you had with PCOS.
As you say you were empirically started on PCOS without any symptoms or tests, you can reconsider using it further.

Also a thyroid test to estimate TSH levels is a must as they are usually associated with PCOS.

Do not forget to start FOLIC acid tablet which is a vitamin essential in pregnancy during first 3 months.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor