Suggest ways to wean off Metoprolol

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Schedule for weaning off 50mg metoprolol succinate daily, please.

Was given to me for high bp 2 years ago. Dieting and feeling better and would like to get off it. Doctor was a company dr. No longer work there or have insurance.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose tapering required(gradual decrease in the dose )

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I can understand your concern and had gone through your query.
I would like to know, how much is your current BP? is it in control with the above mentioned tablet?
If your BP is in control with the tablet along with the salt restricted diet, if you want to get off the tablets, you cannot stop the drug immediately.If you do this it may leads to increase in your BP. So you have to do it gradual way.Like if you are taking 50 mg daily, reduce it to 25 mg on alternate days for 2 weeks.Then check your BP, If it is stable, then you can shift your dose to 25 mg.Like this you have gradually decrease to zero dose. It may take 3-4 months or more than that.But salt restricted diet is must with moderate exercise.
But you need to keep checking BP once in 15 days.

If you have any doubt you are welcome.

Dr Priyanka G Raj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj