• question-icon

Suggest ways to remove food object stuck in the throat

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: how to get piece of bacon out of my XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sunil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Methods are described below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on this forum.

Firstly try these methods at home-

Take a uncooked egg, swallow the yolk including the red to help the obstruction slide down. The yolk is slippery and may cause bacon to slide down easily.

Try swallowing hard cooked rice or a lump of hard bread to push the piece down to the stomach you can also take bread, a big loaf at a time. Anything which can apply pressure on the piece to move it forward or swallowing cooked rice or hard bread after gargling vinegar will help loosen the obstruction.

You can also opt to swallow a tablespoonful of olive oil to allow the obstruction to slide down to your stomach.

Drink plenty of fluids. The pressure of the fluid and the swallowing reflex can help move the food down the esophagus and remove the obstruction.

If not relieved in 12 hours, please go to the nearest emergency room they would remove it.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist