Suggest ways to overcome allergy to eggs

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 10.5 month old baby had an allergic reaction to egg on 13th September. His ears swelled up and were extremely red and he developed a rash on his body. He was rushed to hospital and given piriton. After he was given medication he vomitted and also had diarohhea.
On 18th September (5 days later) he woke up with what looked like a bruise on his ear. This then appeared on the other side but only a very small amount. His ear was swollen and are purplish / blueish in colour.
Are the 2 linked and what can it be?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The present stage is just a normal progression of the previous one.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details and have checked the attached images. I do not see a cause for worrying. I think that the purplish or bluish discoloration is just a sequele of the previous redness of the ears that your child had. The red blood that had earlier caused the redness, is gradually being resorbed and so the colour changes are seen. Purplish or bluish is the colour of denatured blood and as the time progresses the colour gradually changes till it completely fades off in 7-10 days. It is normal and just an evolution of the stage of reaction that your child had earlier experienced.

Stay relaxed.

Hope that helped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Hi

What sort of antibody causes and egg allergy?..and what antibody causes delayed hypersensitivity?

As my son's ears were previously swollen due to the allergic reaction, this has caused the blueish purplish colour?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The previous episode is linked to the present discoloration

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Athough the previous episode was associated with the ingestion of egg, I am not sure whether the episode was due to egg allergy. I could only comment on it definitively if I could have examined the child directly at that point of time. However, if egg allergy occurs, it occurs due to something called type 1 hypersensitivity which is characterised by release of histamine and bradykinin and is not associated with any type of antibodies.

The previous redness of your child's ear seems to be directly related to the bluish purplish colour.