Suggest ways to manage weight gain after lowering the dose of Synthroid

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I moved to Tennessee 5 years ago. Since I was 40 years old I have been on Synthroid .175. I had a Endocrinologist in Florida. He ran tests every month. I believe the most important one was Free T3 or Free T4. Anyway the closest Endocrinologist to where I live is 5 1/2 hours away. My family doctor only will run a TSH. Several years he dropped by Synthroid to .150 I learned to live with that but I must constantly be on a diet so I won't put on 20 pounds. (which has happened). Well he is retiring and decided to again run a TSH he dropped my Synthroid to .137. I have not been feeling well. Just getting up is a chore. I am constantly cheating on my diet hoping a little more food will give me energy. Help. I feel trapped. He ran a full panel but I am having trouble getting results on the tests. I know he doesn't know how to interpret theses tests. I am 66 years old since he has changed my thyroid medication a month ago.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The hormone result needed;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

I have gone carefully through your concern and understood your query.

To decide about the levothyroxine dose, the thyroid hormone result is very important.

If the hormones are within the normal ranges with 137 mcg and you have symptoms of hypothyroidism, i would suggest to check reverse T3.

But without having the results, it is difficult for us to suggest how to change the doses.
Only the signs and symptoms are not enough.

Please try to find out the results and attach/upload them here for a more specific evaluation.

Awaiting..
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee