Suggest treatment to reduce fluid build-up due to chronic heart failure

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Thu, 13 Nov 2014 in Heart Failure
Question: I have been on two aggressive drugs to reduce fluid buildup due to chf. I'm concerned, I don't understand what they are or how they can be can be dangerous. How do you replace them and what the symptoms are.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diuretics in CHF

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
The common drug combination to reduce fluid build up in CHF are Furosemide(20 mg) and spironolactone (50 mg).
Furosemide is a potent loop diuretic (water pill) that is used to eliminate water and salt from the body.
While loop diuretics remain first-line for most patients with heart failure, spironolactone (a potassium retaining diuretic) remains an important agent for treating fluid retention, edema, and symptoms of heart failure and often given in combination with Furosemide, to enhance the elimination of fluid from the body (diuresis) and also to counteract loss of potassium caused by Furosemide.
As the fluid-build up eases with diuresis ,alternate less aggressive diuretic e.g torsemide is advised, replacing the more powerful drugs.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D