Is leg weakness a side effect of Losartan?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had taken Losartan with the water pill and I had to stop because of pain in my right foot and now I am trying 50mg of just plain Losartan and my right leg weakened today. should I still take the Losartan?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you i understand your concern and i would like to tell you that your blood pressure medicines are not the reason of your leg pain.

The point of concern here is that you have mentioned that you developed some weakness in you leg which is not a good sign. Hypertension patients are prone for the risk of having CVA (Stroke) which can present in many different ways out of which one can be weakness in any of the limbs.

So right now its become urgent and very important to rule out any such possibility because you have just developed that weakness as EARLY THE DIAGNOSIS BETTER WILL BE THE TREATMENT AND OUTCOME.

Kindly go to an ER as soon as possible today and get yourself evaluated.

I hope you will understand the gravity of the situation and act immediately.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 minutes later
Is Urgent Care ok?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes its needed

Detailed Answer:
An evaluation in ER is required right now to rule out any impending Stroke.

Dr Bhanu Partap
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 29 minutes later
Ok. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Glad to be helpful.

Wish you good health.

Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Bhanu Partap