Suggest treatment to cure urinary tract infection

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Infections
Question: sir my mother is diabetic right now she is having UTI infenction ie culture report of urine shows growth of E coli she was doing well but in the meantime symptoms again prevailed of having fever
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows Detailed Answer: Hello there, Welcome to Healthcare magic, Nice to meet you here, Active, untreated urinary tract infection, is usually associated with recurrent episodes of fever. So try to visit a physician as soon as possible to get treated for UTI. I usually treat my patients on UTI [E.coli] with an antibiotic named nitrofurantion [macrodantin] 50mg qid [four times daily] for a period of 6 days, it is an excellent antibiotic to treat UTI. I also suggest an anti-pyretic like acetaminophen [Tylenol] to reduce her fever. Try to keep her diabetes under control, as uncontrolled diabetes results in UTI in many patients. Do an HbA1c to know her diabetes status. Ask her to drink plenty of water, and provide her with crane berry juice and fruits rich in vitamin C [like amla], which naturally helps in reducing the infection. Personal hygiene is most important to prevent UTI. so, area around rectum and vagina should be washed with soap and water to prevent cross infections. Take care. Dr.surendiran.g MBBS,PGD[Geriatric medicine
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Surendiran Gaj

Geriatrics Specialist