What causes cloudy urine with strong odor?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am having cloudy urine with a strong odor
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Urine that is cloudy with a strong odor can be due to a number of different things. Without other urinary symptoms (burning, pain, urgency and frequency), it may not be a bladder infection, although it is possible that that is what is going on but in it's early stages. Bacteria in the urinary tract can cause cloudiness and a foul smell. Dehydration can cause a strong odor as can certain foods and medications. A very sweet smell can be associated with spilling sugar into the urine from uncontrolled diabetes. But you didn't mention that particular type of smell so I will assume this last possibility is lower on the list. Also, any kind of local inflammation can cause some mucus production and make it look cloudy.

If you have been drinking enough water and no new foods or medications, then let's think of this as an early UTI. Unless you have had recurring severe UTIs or pyelonephritis (kidney infections), you may be able to address this without it going any further.

Increase your consumption of water, and either drink cranberry juice or take cranberry powder capsules right now and for the next several days. Regarding cranberry juice, I generally recommend getting the concentrate and reconstituting it with water and a little apple juice. It will be on the tart side, but ready made Ocean Spray has a lot of added sugar so if you drink a lot of it you will be getting a lot of sugar. If you don't have time to mess around with this plan, it's usually ok for awhile to just get the Ocean Spray or other brands of ready-made.

If you start to have urinary pain then consider going in to get it checked - at your doctor's office or urgent care clinic. If you develop fever, flank pain and nausea, then you must go in to get checked. I am not saying this because I expect that to happen but just to cover all bases.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Thank you so much. I'll start watching the water intake and add cranberry juice.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Good luck, and please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD