Suggest treatment for vertigo and dizziness

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started having vertigo several weeks ago and had an ENG done. The doctor said the dizziness was caused by vestibular migraine. She gave me exercises to do and they have helped a little. The dizziness comes and goes throughout the day whereas before it would last several hours. It's hard to describe what I'm feeling now. It is like a flash of spinning that occurs suddenly and stops,then happens again maybe four or five times in a row, then completely goes away. It may occur again later or the next day the cycle repeats. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, these episodes occur at random times. Each episode only lasts a few minutes. It does seem worse if I'm overly tired. Another problem that goes along with it is difficulty going down stairs. I feel very unsteady and fearful of falling. The doctor told me that the exercises should stop the vertigo and if it didn't there could be another cause. I started the exercises about three weeks ago. Have I not given them enough time to work or could there be something else going on?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having vertigo. You should take anti vertigo medicines alongwith exercises.
Take tablet stemetil thrice daily
Tablet betahistine 16mg thrice daily
Take these for at least 2 weeks.
Do exercises for vertigo. You can search online for these.
Avoid driving for few days.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T