question-icon

Suggest treatment for thyroid

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: I have low T4 And THS, and that is all I have been told. first I was just T4 low and then with med I was to high and now I am to low. I am scared to death, my primary said I have to get a specialist so I did and he is double book until next month. I haven't been able to get any answers. The bottom line would be good. My doctor said he does not want to speak on the issues because it's not his area. what?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Need work up, clinical correlation and management accordingly

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. History of L thyroxine use and thyroid hormone imbalance with too high and too low fluctuations at the age of 61 are likely attributed to either wrongful dose of thyroxine, or wrongful diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

Low TSH always indicate hyperthyroidism, and T4 values are not that significant , these may be low even in hyperthyroidism. Its low TSH and high T 3 that counts. Any how with fluctuating thyroid hormones, more important would be symptoms of thyroid imbalance. If heat intolerance, palpitations etc are predominant its hyperthyroidism and if vice versa then its hypothyroidism.

You need a thorough work up for thyroid like thyroid uptake scan, thyroid antibodies assay and a complete clinical correlation to sort out the possible cause. With just T 4 an TSh i am afraid its not too much to diagnose you with for the root cause. Wait for your endocrinologist consult and let them run some labs to sort it out.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan