Suggest treatment for throbbing pain in the back caused by a disc prolapse

Posted on Fri, 12 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have developed pain in my right total hip replacement. primary Dr. aware. there isa collar around this hip.I felt something feeling "unhinged a while back". pain in lower right side of back, hip, running down back of right leg and stopping at bottom of calf which is a constant dull throbbing pain. have tried ice, heat, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX advil, Tylenol n now hydrocodone. calf pain developed just about 3 days ago. Nothing relieves that! I am waiting on insurance company to put out authorization code for MRI. What do I do? I am nervous about the throbbing in my calf moreso than the hip pain. Should I spend the money on the ER? Been informedas of yesterday coulfd take another 7 days for authorization!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to disc prolapse.

Detailed Answer:

It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.

The following measures will help with the pain-

• Lie on a hard bed.
• Get an oral muscle relaxant prescribed by your doctor.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply analgesic gels (eg. Diclofenac gel) on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon