Suggest treatment for throat infection in an infant

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello doctor- my infant son who is 6 months old got throat infection and is struggling to make any sound. is there any home remedy that I can try at all? please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Plenty of fluids.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Your son may have a sore throat can be due to cold or flu virus. Most frequent cause of a sore throat is a viral infection.

For most viral infections, no treatment is necessary. Your son's immune system can generally overcome a virus within a week. Plenty of fluids (breast milk or formula feed) is a must to keep him hydrated.

If your son has started with dal water and porridge, you can try giving him warm soups to soothe his throat. Avoid honey as it can cause allergies. Apple juice also helps. Steam inhalation or humidifier in your child's room also helps moisten the air and soothe his throat.

If your son's symptoms persist or worsens or if its due to a bacterial infection (associated with runny nose, fever, productive cough) then it is best to meet your pediatrician for a prescription of antibiotics.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana