Suggest treatment for tennis elbow

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Tennis elbow lingering for 18 months. Pain and tension are mainly in wrist/forearm rather than at the elbow. I stretch regularly. Besides stretching what can I do? I would like to avoid cortisone shots since that does not heal the issue and only masks it.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound and interferential therapy will help.

Detailed Answer:

Beside stretching , physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. You can take medicine like Ibuprofen, trypsin/chymotrypsin to reduce pain and swelling.

Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time. If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest. Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm. For example, do not drive with your arm resting on the open window. Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards.

Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
What is interferential therapy?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Electrical stimulation of nerves.

Detailed Answer:

Interferntial therapy is low frequency electrical stimulation of nerves. It is used for Pain relief, Muscle stimulation, Reduction of swelling and Increased local blood flow.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Like a TENS unit?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is like a TENS unit.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, it is like a TENS unit.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
I have a home unit that I sometimes use on sore muscles after working out. Is this something I could use on my elbow?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
upload the image of that unit.

Detailed Answer:
I can not comment without seeing that unit. It is better if you can upload the image of that home unit.

Warm regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Here is the unit
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use this on your elbow.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through the image uploaded. You can use this on your elbow.

Wishing you speedy recovery...