Suggest treatment for symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I have had MRI twice, CT scans, etc. My symptoms are numbness of left facial area, lips, and underneath the chin. I take Gabapentin, but nothing really works. It is not painful, but very annoying.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The symptoms may be due to trigeminal neuralgia or neuropathy .
In case of persistent problem FIESTA sequence in mri will help in identifying any compression at nerve root.
Soft tissue at the base of skull should be carefully examined on mri for any growth.
Gabapentin can be increased. Carbamazepine can be tried too.
Upload images of mri. Get nerve conduction study for blink and facial study.
Visit to a neurologist is advised.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 13 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I have had two MRI and two CT's. UCLA Medical Center said they saw no abnormalities. If it were Trigeminal Neuralgia, I thought it would be painful, but it is not. If it is neuropathy on just the left side of my face, how could this be possible. Are there any additional labs that could be tried, to rule anything else out? If so I could ask my practitioner. I have spent a great deal of time and money to figure this out.Any other ideas, would be helpful. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
In trigeminal neuropathy, pain is absent and sensation over face is decreased or lost.
Facial blink study may be done to evaluate trigeminal neuropathy.
Nerve conduction of whole body may be useful in detecting any neuropathy in other nerves.
Visit to a neurologist will be helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj