Suggest treatment for symptoms of flu and sore throat

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: started XXXXXXX induction about 8 days ago,experienced flu like symptoms for a day or so the woke up with a sore throat and irritated .soft palate a few days later it has continued to bother me for the past few days. Doesn't seem like its getting better. is it possible that it could also be because of the low carb diet? or could i be coming down with something. i have no other symptoms at the moment . im not on any medications
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably linked to the diet, better to check and be sure.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The reduction in your carbohydrate intake during the Atkin's Diet induction leads to flu like symptoms.

2. As fat is consumed and the body gets dehydrated, such symptoms are known.

3. It is better to inform your diet consultant and physician.

4. If the sore throat gets worse, resume a normal diet till you are sure it is not a flu. If this is a flu developing, it is better to stop the induction phase.

5. Take adequate fluids, electrolytes and re-adjust your calorie intake.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist