• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of aphthous ulcers

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have stomatitis-poor nutrition from gastroparesis-burning on sides of tongue-white painfull blisters front of tongue. But inside lower lip several round bumps?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
seems to be apthous ulcers.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having burning sensation in tongue.

As per your clinical details, it appears to be apthous ulcers (inner side of lower lip-commonest site) secondary to malnutrition or stress.

I suggest the following measures to overcome your burning mouth and malnutrition.

1. take ppi inhibitors (pantoprazole) twice daily half an hour before food.
2. oral prokinetic medications such as metoclopramide (Reglan, Maxolon, Clopra) twice daily for gastroparesis.
3. supplements with iron +folic acid (tab.fefol-z) for 3 months,
4. clenora moth gel (steoid+anesthtic) thrice daily local application before food.
5. Resource powder in milk twice daily for your malnutrition.

Discuss all about this with your doctor. You should inform to your doctor about your medications.

In case of persistent symptoms, needs to see an ent surgeon to rule out other causes.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer. What resource powder do i put in milk. Is it protien powder? I am somewhat lactose intolerant. Does it have to be milk that i put the powder in? Right now i cant pass stool unless i use tapwater enema although it is mostly brown water that passes so i use the tap water enema at least every three days. Will the iron supplements cause even more problems in this area and if so what would you suggest? Colace? I am considering the suggested meds to help things along in my g.i. Tract. Ido see a G.I. Doctor for this but since the gastropareses Is fairly new i like to come to him with a thought out knowledge and let him know what i have already tried. Again thank you for your prompt responses. Also i have started b12 and multivitamin supplements
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Resource powder can be taken with simple water.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Answers for your queries.

1. Resource powder can be taken with simple water (in case of lactose intolerance). It's a protein powder with zero fats and carbohydrates (lactose).

2. Iron supplements causes constipation or diarrhea. If it is constipation, you can try for intramuscular or intravenous injections with infusions, depending on the Hemoglobin percentage.

3. Colace is a stool softener. It works by helping fat and water into the stool mass to soften the stool. Continue enema and colace as per your treating doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 18 minutes later
In addition to previous question concerning suggested treatment for apthous ulcers. The bumps on the inside of my lower lip i wrote about are round pearl like soft lumps(several of them in a small area)but the skin is intact and there is no pain to them ulike the ulcers on my tongue. Could it be something other than apthous ulcers in that particular area? Could they simply be fatty bumps?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs naked eye examination.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

As such, lower lip inner area commonest site for apthous ulcer and herpes (cold sores). The diagnosis comes mostly from the history and naked eye examination.

In case of suspicion, better to evaluate with your primary physician or ent surgeon.

Meantime, you can apply clenora mouth gel.

All the best. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 54 minutes later
Thank you for your response. It was very helpfull
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are always welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

You are always welcome.

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist