Are lower back pain and frequent urination after alcohol consumption suggestive of pancreatitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I thought I was having back pain mid & lower but it seems to be internal and is exacerbated deep breathing certain movements which feels like the pain is knocking the breath out of me, etc... and is accompanied by a pretty mild nagging stomach ache and frequent urination. I had sharp similar pains a few weeks ago but they went away so I figured it was gas. The pain came back a week ago and has persisted with some days being worse than others. I was thinking it was my kidneys because my back was sore to the touch when getting a massage in the mid part of my back on both sides. I don't have insurance so I am reluctant to go to the doctor. Any suggestions or advice on home remedies?

I feel like the two times I have felt these symptoms it was after a night of heavy drinking. Would that have you lean more toward the pancreatitis diagnosis? Also, how would the frequency in urination play into all of this?
Finally, you mentioned some medications. Can you explain in more detail what illness, symptoms and treatment each those are for specifically and can you prescribe them or would I need to physically go into a drs office for that?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

For most of the medications, you may need to visit your GP as we can't prescribe it online. These are generic names and you should ask your doctors about similar medications in your area. These are used for pain, nausea, stomach irritation and malfunction of the pancreas.

Pancreatitis may be caused by drinking and this is the most common cause. Also, biliary stones or cysts may cause it as well. You should do an ultrasound or CT scan to evaluate this further.

Frequent urination may or may not be associated with pancreatitis. This is seen if you drink too many fluids, alcohol or in case there is kidney disorder. Also, urinary infections may lead to this as well.