Suggest treatment for symptoms of PCOS

Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: hello doctor

I am 28 years old. As i have already discussed that i am experiencing PCOS symptoms like frequent weight gain, obesity,hair growth all over body and acne mainly around jaw areas. I am taking homeopathy medicines for psoriasis for last 3 years. My body become more sensitive to allergy. i hv brittle hair,ruf hair and hair fall too. I have done my comprehensive checkup..the reports i showed in last queries...in ultrasound test,ovaries are normal and dont hv pcod.....but still i am experiencing these symptoms...i hv regular periods of 28 or 29 days lasts for 3 days. we are trying for baby but not able to conceive for last 9 to 10 months.I also have continuous body pain all over body specially limbs.and more pigmentation on body specially face area. please suggest what to do?
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get blood test

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing..
I understand your concern..

Since you have hirsuitism, it is important to confirm your status of PCOS before proceeding for any treatment.. I would suggest to get a few blood test, FSH,LH,prolactin,TSH, S.Testosterone levels and insulin level.. PCOS is a triad of 3 findings which include irregular periods, hirsuitism and polycystic ovaries in scan finding.. In your case only finding is hirsuitism.. So I need to confirm PCOS with blood reports..

Since you are planning for a pregnancy, i would suggest to change your treatment for psoriasis to allopathy and medicine which is safe in pregnancy.. Do you have any symptoms related to psoriasis now?

I would suggest to get your husband's semen analysis prior to starting your treatment for infertility. Because if his sperm count is less, the treatment given to you will be waste.. Get a follicular study in the 11th day which might have to be repeated on day 13 to know the ovulation status, if ovulation occurs it means your chance of getting pregnant is high if you have intercourse in those days.. If there is no ovulation we may have to consider ovulation induction drugs..

Please review with the reports.. Feel free to ask any questions.. Hope i will be able to help you out with your problem.. Thank you..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 1 hour later
hello doctor

Thanks for your reply
Only blood tests are required for PCOS or ultrasound too?
I have not that kind of severe symptoms of psoriasis nw.
is homeopathic treatment is not safe for pregnancy?
Does this bring hormonal changes in our body?
A gynae doctor has already prescribed me medicines like fertisure -F and carnitor.
I am also taking folic acid and sandocal tabs along with multivitamin and vit D sachets(weekly)
what about my whole body pain specially in limbs and joints.
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply..

You told earlier that you have done a scan and it says no PCO.. If scan is not done it needs to be done along with blood test..

I am not sure about homeo being safe in pregnancy.. I would suggest allopathic medication.. Only a homeopathic doctor can comment on its safety and side effects..

Yes PCO can cause hormonal changes.. Certain studies shows long term use of homeopathic and ayurvedic treatment can cause heavy metal toxicity.. The studies are still going on.. Its effect on hormonal changes in body is not known..

FertisureF and carnitor has good effect to improve the quality of egg.. Continue with folic acid and Vit D..

Since how long do you have pain and swelling in the limbs.. Does it increase at night or remains same through out the day?

Feel free to ask any queries.. Good day..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 42 minutes later
hi....

sometimes it remain whole day and sometimes i dont have pain anywhere.....when i got up in morning my legs, feet and back start paining qnd after some hours i became normal.
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing..
I would like to know if there is early morning stiffness.. I mean something like rheumatoid arthritis.. Is the swelling in the knee joint also? Have you got any xray done?
Since how long do you have this problem? Is it recent onset?

waiting for your reply.. thank you..