• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen lymph glands in the throat

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello
I have a question about a throat feeling:

I know what it is to have throat infection and swollen lymph glands; and that is not the feeling and have in this case.

This case I have a irritating feeling while I swallom( like not pain, but more like tense muscles feeling ) ; the feeling is only on the left side and I can also feel where it is, if I press my finger to my throat from the outside on the excatly spot. It's not swollen, but I can feel it when I press hard enough.

I sometimes suffer from reflux, but it normally don't come into the throat, so I don't think that is the problem.

My throat isn't red og uncomfortable in any other way; but this irritating feeling.

I have attached a picture where the problem is located.

Can this be a problem, or something that will go away with a few days.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be thyroid swelling

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having throat discomfort. I would like to ask you few more details.

Is there any change of voice ? cough ?
Is there any puffiness of face or waight gain?
Is there any voice abuse (singing, shouting) ?

Kindly get back to me with the details.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be thyroid abnormality or laryngitis (voice abuse).

In case of persistent symptoms, you need to evaluate with direct laryngoscopy, thyroid profile and ultrasound neck.

In the mean time, do simple steam inhalation twice daily.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 42 minutes later
Thanks for getting back to me.

1. No change in voice
1. no puffiness or weight gain.
1. I do sing a lot, but I haven't been singing more than usual; and I don't think I have been abusing my voice lately.

I only feel the problem on the left side, and if I try to locate with my finger, I can't feel any swelling; but it's there somehow.

How long can I wait until I see if there is improvement, before I go to the doctor ?
and if it it's better in the morning; ? what do I do then ?

Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
8-10 days.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Throat irritation needs to be evaluated. Anyway, you can wait for 8-10 days, to take a decision for ENT consultation (direct laryngoscopy) and investigations.

In the mean time, stop singing, shouting, cut down spicy/junk foods and do continue steam inhalations.

All the best. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist