Suggest treatment for swelling and pain on the knees

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: both my knees got slammed into the ground. there is a little swelling and pain but no discoloration. walking isn't bad but squatting or the action of sitting hurts a lot. what kind of damage usually results from blunt force trauma to the knees?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MRI of both knees would be required if the pain persists

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on the region of contact tibial and patellar bone fractures are possibilities. If the traumatic event occurred recently or just now for that matter then NSAIDs should be advised right away to minimize any soft tissue swelling associated with the trauma. X rays should be advised to rule out any fracture. They should be continued for a week and a crib bandage can be applied to both the knees for a few days. Most likely the pain and swelling will subside. If the pain and swelling persist or worsen then MRI of the knees would be required to rule out any meniscal , articular/cruciate ligament injury.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any course of action described above.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil