• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling and lack of urge to urinate

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have no normal urge to urinate. I must try at convenient opportunities. The flow is very weak and requires excessive effort and still doesn't completely empty the bladder. Swelling is located in my sides, above the hips and high in the abdomine, below the ribs. I am taking medication for depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart condition and calestural control. My prostate has been checked, with no abnormalities. Please, what could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to consult qualified Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have obstructive voiding symptoms like straining for urination ,frequency ,poor stream,and incomplete emptying of bladder which are commonly due to enlarged prostate which is common at this age .It is mostly associated with Bilateral Inguinal Hernia and needs to get confirmed by clinical assessment by a qualified Urologist .

You have mentioned that your prostate has been checked and found it to be normal .
I shall suggest you to consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Uroflowmetry .

In the mean while you can start taking Tomsulosin once daily .This will help you to improve urine flow .

Further modality of treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist