Suggest treatment for suicidal tendencies, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks and hallucinations

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Relationship
Question: I have been suffering from terrible, distressing flashing mental images in my head that I cannot take anymore. I also have an obsessive feeling of terrifying fear of suicide. it as if something is telling me I am going to die. I understand that these feelings and images are NOT normal and I donot want to have them invade my mind anymore. I am looking for an explanation as to what is the CAUSE of this so that I can get a better understanding of it all.

My question is : what is behind these intrusive images and impulses (is it anxiety, depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar disease)? For whatever reason, I feel like my mind is in some higher form and I also feel like my body is unable to relax. I have an extreme amount of dissociation-- let me explain this to you further. I feel as if my house and my family members are all strange and unfamiliar. I feel like I am trapped inside of my head and not living apart of the real world. I KNOW THAT this feeling is not normal. I haven't created my own reality but I live like I am outside of my body, as an observer watching myself, if that makes any sense to you. I feel like my head is constantly spinning and can't just stop and remain quiet. I am extremely confused and disoriented. And on top of it, I have the extreme suicidal obsessions or fear of suicide which is an intense incredible fear that is making me afraid of being alone. I get flashing mental images in my head of me killing myself -- they can be of seeing myself in a coffin, my wrists slit, or being hung. The amount of fear these images are causing is very distressing as I am sure you can understand and I would like to have some help understanding and processing all of this.

At this point I am not sure if this is what is defined as depression? I have never had it before so I don't know if it is that.

Thank you kind sir for all of your help. It is most appreciated and I would really like to know if what I am experiencing are suicidal thoughts because I am terrified that it is what I am having.

hope to hear from you soon. Thank
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think this is bipolar disease that you are describing.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Healthcare magic,

If it was only suicidal tendencies, it would be depression.
If it was only abnormal thoughts it is psychosis.
If it is mild panic--it is anxiety.
If there are delusions (I am great, I am a queen), plus hallucinations--seeing things not there--birds, angels) --it is Schizophrenia.
Many times it is a mixture.
These problems are due to a creation of imbalance in chemicals in brain. It is not our 'fault' and is beyond our control.
Important is to quickly take treatment,(medicines that modify and correct chemical imbalance before it gets deep rooted.

I will therefore advise you to see a good psychiatrist at the earliest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D