Does Amitriptyline interact with Norco?

Question
I overdosed I had taken norco and amitriptyline 300 mg. My prescription in the er they gave me narcan and I had serious reaction, even though I hadn't taken a lot of norco? What happened? The er md said they didn't believe me. I just don't understand.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be drug reaction even in usual dose

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though drug reactions or side effects can occur in usual therapeutic doses but can you explain how much did you take as in toxic overdoses it may need to be managed with antidotes or to look for blood gases, bicarbonate, and acidity of blood and other aspects of drug toxicity and may need management accordingly.

Drink more amount of water, and in cases of decreased urinary output or any other symptoms like vomiting or nausea or drowsiness kindly get a second opinion by a medical specialist.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Does Amitriptyline interact with Norco? 2 hours later
I took 3norco 10 mg. 350 mg.of amitriptylene. I was unconscious and non responsive. I have taken amitriptylene for 30 years, How could the Narcan cause such a violent reaction?

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can cause sedation

Detailed Answer:
Hi! This can cause sedation sepcially amytryptaline in such high daily dose combined with codiene can cause too much sedation. Though none of these are in toxic ranges. Regards

Follow-up: Does Amitriptyline interact with Norco? 17 hours later
I heard that amitryptine attached to the same receptors as opioids, I know I am beating a dead horse but my family thinks I tried to commit suicide, when I only took 30 mgs of Norco which I have been taking for about 10 years. Plus 350 mgs of amitriptylene for 30 years. I didn't try to kill myself but no one believes me. Help?

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both act synergistically and lead to more sedation

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Both these drugs act synergistically and cause excessive sedation and it's quite high doses as you had mentioned. If you had been taking same and it didn't cause sedation before, may be you had taken more than usual dose by mistake or even the black out can also be some other reason like neurological or cardiac still toxicology screen and drug levels can be done to rule out the cause. Regards.