Suggest treatment for stone in the lower end of the left ureter?
a CT-KUB ( Plain and contrast). IMPRESSION;Left hydroureteronephrosis with obstructing calculus at the left
vesico-ureteric junction.Calculus measures 1.0*0.5 cm.It has a mean attenuation value of
735 HU.. Bit worried what it is and what treatment it envisages
Please consult urologist immediately to treat urinary obstruction and stone
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. There is a 10 x 5 mm stone in the lower end of the left ureter. The ureter is a tubular structure that allows the passage of urine from kidney to urinary bladder. In your mother in law, there is a stone in the left ureter which is causing obstruction to the flow of urine and therefore the left kidney is appearing swollen up with urine as drainage is not happening properly.
2. Stone at the vesico ureteric junction is common as it is one of the narrowest portions in the passage and this can cause a lot of pain to the patient.
3. Any obstruction to the kidney must be relieved within 15 days of the block or else the kidney can get affected due to urinary obstruction.
4. It is important to consult the urologist at the earliest and get kidney function tests done.
5. If kidney function test is normal then your doctor can give medicine for few days to cause the stone that is stuck to be pushed in to the urinary bladder. Medicines are also give to reduce pain.
6. If the stone does not move from its position then using a minimally invasive procedure the urologist will take out the stone through normal urinary passage.
7. Please tell your mother in law to drink lots of water and fresh juices so that the stone might be flushed out on its own. Consulting urologist within one day is suggested. Any infection due to the stone must also be treated.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for salivary gland stones
- Suggest treatment for ocd treatment
- Suggest treatment for kidney stones
- What treatment is suggested for gall stones
- Suggest treatment for lower backache
- Suggest treatment for injured lower backand left leg
- Treatment and cure for ureter injury
- Treatment and cure for kidney/ ureter tumor
- Suggest treatment for gallbladder stone
- What are the possible treatments for stones in ureter