Suggest treatment for stiffness in the neck

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a very stiff neck; I can twist it left and right with minimal stiffness, but I cannot tip it back. I have some sinus drainage, the glands under my chin are slightly swollen and are sore when I tilt my head back. I do not have a fever. The stiffness was worse last night. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be throat infection and muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:

The sore and swollen glands in the neck are suggestive of an infection in the local area like throat. The stiffness of the neck can be related to the infection or due to muscle spasm due to abnormal neck positions.

Taking proper antibiotic and pain killer after consulting a physician will help. Till then doing a hot compress will help.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks so much. I will go to the Urgent Care for follow up!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do inform about your progress.

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome.

Thanks for writing again.
Yes that would help. Do get proper prescriptions also.
Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.