Suggest treatment for sore throat, swollen glands under chin and headache

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Yes, thank you. Three days ago I came down with a sore throat and swollen glands all under my chin. (out in the cold air day before. Went to doctor when I got home. Gave me a couple of prednisome. did not help. Next day I went back to same doctor..she has now prescribed more prednisome 20mg ( for three more days) and also Azithromycin 250mg. A little better, slept somwhat last night...but now I have a headache. Can I take Aspirin or Tylenol for the headache without causing a problem ?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are experiencing and upper respiratory infection. This could be either bacterial infection like strep throat or viral like the flu. From your description I would say you have a viral illness. Any amount of prednisone or antibiotics are not going to help. Your own body needs to fight this infection and it will. Unfortunately you now have a headache. For this headache you can use Tylenol, or ibuprofen. I would prefer that you use the ibuprofen as this is a better analgesic and would help the best

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care concerns and questions.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 5 minutes later
I will use the ibuprofen. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the swelling...it is difficult to swallow without water going up my nose...ice packs ? Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
salt water gargles

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in your throat will reduce on its own. Ice packs will do nothing. To help the swallowing use salt water gargles. Take a 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle enough salt to make the water salty tasting. Then gargle well and spit it out. This will help sooth the throat. You can also try chlorospetic mouth spray to numb up your throat.

Good luck
Dr. Ronald Schubert