Suggest treatment for sore throat in infants

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son has a sore throat, but it is low, near his oesophagus. It is hurting him to swallow or yawn, and he says it feels a bit clogged. We are unable to get a Locom Dr as they are all busy. It is 430am and our local Dr doesn't open until 830am. We have given nurofen. We are unsure what may be wrong as it seems very low for a sore throat? Your advice is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible sore throat affecting inner tonsils

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation your son is in.

Possibly he is having sore throat with deeper tonsils being affected.

Until you see his pediatrician , I advise to :
- Give him nurofen every 6 hours
- Give lots of fluids ( water, tea, juice ).
- Advise to gargle with warm water and salt.
- Encourage to take 1 teaspoon of honey and olive oil.

Keep monitoring his temperature and record the results to show to his pediatrician.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana