Can one discontinue Augmentin Duo temporarily due to an irritable bowel syndrome?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 in General Health
Question: Hey doctor,

I recently visited my local gp for pain that I have been having, mainly a heavy ache in my lower right pelvic region that radiates down to me upper right side of my testicle and it hurts if I retract my stomach inwards or when I am lying down. I have had it for about two weeks now and I have done two urine tests which both came up negative for uti's and sti's even though I am not sexually active and I have an ultrasound booked for Tuesday. The doctor thinks it is epididymitis but wouldn't that usually show up in a urine test? He prescribed me Augmentin Duo Forte 875mg twice daily for it, although I haven't started them yet. I am currently having a lot of stomach issues and bowel issues as well and I am reluctant to start antibitoics unless absolutely necessary as they'll likely make my stomach and bowel issues worse. Would it do me any harm waiting until Tuesday for the ultrasound? I have also tried both Pandol and Nurofen and they don't seem to do anything for the pain is there anything else that I can try that is easy on the stomach? If I do start the antibitoics when is the best time to take them with or without food and for how many days considering the doc prescribed me twice daily the packet has 10 in there but also has a repeat which I don't know if I would need to use?

Kind Regards,
Dxxxxl
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An ultrasound might provide more clues.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns:
As per your description you seem to have something related to your groin. It might be epididymitis/funiculitis or I could be an early stage of inguinal hernia.
Look for any bulge on your groin are on coughing. If there is bulge when you cough, it could be an inguinal hernia.
An ultrasound inguinal area and scrotum can provide more clear picture. Ultrasound can differentiate epididymitis and hernia and we can rule out more serious conditions like torsion testes.
Ad of now you can take simple analgesics like ibuprofen or diclofenac.
You can start antibiotics empirically, you can take twice daily dose preferably after food to avoid gastritis and other side effects. You can take antacids like pantoprazole to avoid bowel issues.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 28 minutes later
I couldn't notice any buldging when I cough but I do have this really hard vein that feels really tense when you touch it as if it is bulding out on the right side of my lower pelvic region I have attched a picture of it. Could that be related,thats where the pain leads down to where my upper right testicle is and there is a bit of pain where the groin is as well if i turn my leg. Now that I think about it as well about over a month ago now when I went to the gym I kicked a weight with my right foot quite a heavy one to slide it in and I had some groin pain on both sides for about 3 or 4 days could it maybe be related to that?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epididymitis is more likely

Detailed Answer:
Epididymitis is more likely.
The hard vein like thing might be inflamed spermatic cord.
Continue antibiotics until you get an ultrasound done.
It is not related to the kicking you have mentioned
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 3 hours later
I haven't started the antibitoics yet would I be able to wait until Tuesday before starting them just to confirm diagnosis in case I don't need them or should I just start them anyways since I have had the issue for a while now?

Since I am not sexually active as well and the fact that it is not a uti how else would Epididymitis be caused? Also how long do they usually take to work on Epididymitis infection if that were the case and can you consume alchool whilst on antibitoics, would it also be beneficial to have a probiotic during the course of the antibiotics and if so at what time of the day would be best since I am having the antibitoic morning and night?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
You can start on antibiotics empirically. You can have penicillin group drugs like ampicillin which is quite effective and side effects are minimal. You can have penicillins with alcohol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 5 hours later
How long would I take it for and would I stop when I get better? I know they have started to change the way antibitoics are being taken i've been prescribed Augmentin Duo Forte 875mg twice daily with 10 tablets and a repeat.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take for one week

Detailed Answer:
You can continue for one week.
If results are not good, we have to change antibiotics as advised by your treating doctor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana