What causes constant high body temperature despite taking Ibilex?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 8 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my 2 year old son has had a history of Febrile Convulsions that come with an infection of some sort & high temperatures. At the moment we have seen a doctor and he provided IBILEX. But did say his chest seemed okay but should help with ear infections also but did not check so am unsure of whats actually wrong with my son. My son has had 3 doses of IBILEX so far but his temperatures are still quite high. He has had 4 temperatures since yesterday which started at 9:30AM. Ive also been giving him Nurofen to help with temperatures. Just wondering if his high temperatures proceed, for the next 24hours should i then take him to the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The temperature needs to be controlled anyhow

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics like Ibilex (Cephalexin) are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. High temperatures may sometimes precipitate febrile convulsions. Ibilex will not help in bringing down the temperature. If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Neurofen (Ibuprofen) which is more effective. If even that does not suffice, give Meftal-P (mefenamic acid).

If your child is otherwise active and playful and if he does not get any further episodes of seizures, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. In any case, 24 hours is not a cut off time since the fever could be there for 5-7 days.

Let me know if I could help further.