Suggest treatment for sore throat, fever and sneezing

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
my daughter is 10 year old with 48kg weight. She is suffering from viral as per doctor and they have not given any antibiotic for the same considering that she will recover. she has sore throat and sneezing and had very high fever day before yesterday 104 degrees. Today it is 101.im giving her calpol 4 hourly and levocit at night. Her throat is paining a lot today and she is feeling nausea too. Can you please help me what should i do?
her doctor is not in the town and i need help. Please suggest medicine for her.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Children often suffer viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such situations. Your doctor has done the right thing by not prescribing antibiotics. Viral infections are often associated with high rise of temperature and irrespective of treatment it usually takes 5-7 days for recovery.

For her throat discomfort, gurgling with lukewarm water should provide relief. Give antiemetics like ondansetron when required in order to reduce nausea (and vomiting). Continue the other medicines as earlier. If the temperature does not come down with Calpol you might need to give Meftal P which is a better alternative but is a prescription medicine.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Can you please tell me what is the dosage of Meftal P for her? she weighs 48KG.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The correct dose is 7.5mg/kg/dose. For your child Meftal P 500 mg 3/4th tablet should be fine.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 hours later
Thank you so much doctor,
I gave her Meftal P and feve went down but again after 6-7 hours it came to about 101.8. Now, today is the 4th day where fever i coming again and again. She has running nose, coughing too much. Do you think I should go for some investigations? Blood tests or something?
Iam keeping a watch for rash and all. Nothing is there as of now.

Please suggest.Im really worried.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back again.

Fever may continue for another few days. Meftal P will reduce it but will not stop it from coming back.

The mentioned symptoms are typical of viral infections. You need to give steam inhalation. Also give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. That will take care of the runny nose and coughing.

You need to be patient. Investigations will not help and nothing is expected to show up in a viral infection. You would need to get blood tests done if the child grows lethargic or if the fever lasts for more than 7 days.