• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat and low grade fever

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes i am a 50 yr older woman that has been diag. with lupus, ra, chronic anemia to which my hemaglobin is a 7.50 right now but cant have transfusions until it reaches 7. I have been in pre menapause for the last 5 years but yet this past weekend i had spotting of old dark looking light spotting of blood and a few cramps. also yesterday i started having a very drippy nose {clear} , a sore throat with a few white spots on my throat mostly on the left side, a deep cough, nothing coughed up yet, and very achy muscles and a low grade fever that dips below 97 degrees the lostest being 96.5 i know sounds like a lost cause any suggestions

thank you in advance for helping me clear this up
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for reaching out to us at healthcare magic.

I have reviewed your information fully. Below are my suggestions/recommendations.

1. Your anemia is explained by the longstanding lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis. This causes anemia of chronic disease. This is well documented. Management entails managing the underlying diseases because continued activity causes iron to be trapped and not available for use. Iron supplements wouldn't help.

2. Your symptoms of drippy nose, cough, etc. are classical for upper respiratory tract infection. Your medications are adapted and I need not add any. In addition, eat well and stay active.

3. For the menopause, I will like to know if you have been having regular periods or not. With your hemoglobin value this low, the body will tend to minimize bleeding and will cause periods to be irregular and flow reduced to very little volumes.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
I have not had a cycle in over 4 years until this last week end and 4 two days i had a very like show of dark, dark blood. and them it was gone.

i have not had a cycle in over 4 years until this past weekend and for two days i had a light flow of very dark red blood with a few cramps but only for two days.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will request that you get examined!

Detailed Answer:

With no cycle n over 4years, I will like to see the vaginal and uterus examined. This is because bleeding in someone who hasn't had one in several years at the ages of 50 must always be carefully evaluated. Your OBGYN will be the best person to follow up with on this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Kindly update me with the findings from this.
Dr. Ivo Ditah