Suggest treatment for sleep apnea and BP of 150/80

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I would like to get away from digoxin because of the price. I have been taking it for ten years because of afib. My blood pressure is around 150/80. I have sleep apnea. My other medications are amiodarone and hydoclorizide. I have been recommended metroprolol er succinate in lieu of digoxin and reducing my amiodarone from 200 to 100 mg. What I see about metroprolol er succinate is scary. Is this a good move? Or should I spend the money. $300 more per year?
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metoprolol with amiodarone dose reduction is a good move medically

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
Metoprolol with reduction in amiodarone dose is the best way forward , even medically if we put the cost concern aside .
Reducing amiodarone is important as ut major side effects in long run including related to thyroid , lungs and eyes .
Metoprolol gives us that opportunity.
Also Metoprolol is preferred over digoxin as it would provide mortality benefit apart from just preventing recurrent AF.
However a word of caution during transition there may be episodes of AF, so keep a close watch and stay in contact with your doctor, as you have been on digoxin for 10 years .
However if you can achieve this transition it's best for your overall health. Saving on cost is just an ancillary benefit .
Regards Dr. Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad