Does Metroprolol interact with Tikosyn?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My dad has A-fib. He also has LOW blood pressure and low heart rate. His dr's have him on Tikosyn, Simvastatin, Omega 3, Eliquis, Finasteride, Metroprolol (Toporal), Flomax and Omenprozole

should he be taking the Metoprolol along with the Tikosyn?
Also, should he be taking the Simvastatin since hes taking blood thinner?

He can barely function. He is tired, and dizzy all the time. His alertness and concentration is diminished. He is withdrawn and almost in a coma like state. He WANTS to be active. He eats right and is thin. It appears that hes just over-medicated.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The medicines need to be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Tikosyn (Dofetilide) is an antiarrhythmic agent that is often given in case of a-fib. You can give it safely with metoprolol provided the low blood pressure is taken care of. There are no interactions usually reported between metoprolol and Tikosyn. However, it might not be a good idea to give metoprolol if the blood pressure is already low. You need to discuss this with his treating physician.

He should definitely be taking the Simvastatin even when he is taking the blood thinners.

A step by step approach needs to be taken in order to help him regain his functionality. I doubt if over-medication is the issue. The cardiac output can be severely compromised in case of an a-fib and that could automatically reduce his capacity to function well. The low blood pressure is likely to be responsible for his dizziness. Electrolyte imbalance and thyroid functioning also needs to be checked for. A thorough evaluation by his treating physician would be recommended.

Let me know if I could help further.