Suggest treatment for skin rashes
Skin rash in 11 year old
Thanks for contacting HCM
From your inquiry you sound concerned about a new rash in your daughter. You describe the rash as red covering her trunk front and back. She has not had any recent illness and no fever or chills or upper respiratory symptoms. She also denies having itching which would indicate possible allergic reaction.
If you could kindly send pictures of the rash I could be diagnose the rash for you.
A spontaneous rash in a child is usually caused by a viral illness. I would ask is she up to date on all her immunizations including measles mumps and rubella? If she has then the likely cause is other childhood illnesses like fifth's disease. No fifth's disease is caused by a virus and usually follows an URI and is completely benign and resolves spontaneously. Another childhood rash is pityriasis rosea which again is caused by a virus and usually starts with a single patch and quickly spreads in a Christmas tree like distribution. It may cause itching. This is also benign and we treat only for the itching and will resolve by itself over a week or two.
Another possibility is contact dermatitis without the itch. If the distribution of the rash appears along clothing lines then she may have a sensitivity to her clothes. Of course itching would accompany this but not always.
To help reduce the rash I would recommend an antihistamine if she starts itching. Also topical hydrocortisone may help if again she starts itching. For a larger area of itching calamine lotion with Benadryl can also help.
Hope this answers your question. Please contact me if you can get the pictures
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for recurrent itchy red skin rashes
- Suggest treatment for skin rash
- Suggest treatment for skin rash after taking amoxclv
- Suggest treatment for diaper rash
- Suggest treatment for skin rash after a fever
- Suggest treatment for arthritis pain and skin rash
- Suggest treatment for rash on penis
- Suggest treatment for allergic skin rash
- Suggest treatment for skin rash due to allergic reaction
- Suggest treatment for skin rash on body