Suggest treatment for sinusitis

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had sinusitis and took some antibiotics for it and it cleared up mostly. I went for a follow up where the doctor said to try a nasal rinse. I completed a single rinse and after a couple of days my hearing in both ears seemed to dull a little. Things weren't as sharp

I have since been back and doctor advised my ear drums were a little grey and prescribed decongestant and Avamys.

I'm assuming doctor thinks there could be fluid behind ear drum?

Hearing seems to improve at times (been on avamys just under a week)

I get ear popping only going a few floors in a lift and small vertical gradients which I never have before.

Do I have ETD and how long can this take to clear?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please state the full form of ETD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Sinusitis is an infection of sinues, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.

There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. Mucus block of these tubes leads to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the hearing. The popping is due to sudden equalization of pressure. The fluid in the middle ear (on the other side of ear drum) is due to the same problem.

Steam inhalation should help as water in form of vapor will reach deep inside. It would help in diluting the mucus, thus providing relief. If that does not help, an ENT doctor would be able to suggest further steps.

You should simply continue the medicines as directed. Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink.

You need not worry. Hopefully it would be cured soon. You would need to seek additional medical help in case problems worsen

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 23 hours later
Thanks for your response.

So I have been told the fluid behind the ears can take some time to go away (in some instances up to 2-3 months). I have no ear pain and when I had the sinusitis there was no ear pain

Is this known as otitis media with effusion?

I still have some stuffiness in the nose but that comes and goes with no real blockage of either nostril. There also is hardly any mucus as well.

I am rather anxious regarding this and concerned about paranasal sinus cancer -

Are you able to shed any further light? I have had 2 opinions from doctors who both believe it is fluid behind the ears that is causing the dullness in hearing

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is essential

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is otitis media with effusion. It can be left alone to subside but follow the steps I had mentioned. They will help in making the situation better. I do not think that you need to do anything else.