What causes sudden nasal bleeding in an infant?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I delivered baby on 5th Dec... Today is 8th Dec suddenly I had bleeding from left nostril...this is 2 Nd time.. bleeding was for 5 min and I got cough mucous containing blood... earlier I had 15 days back when I was 37w pregnant.... what may b the reason n what I need to do
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy related epistaxis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Bleeding from nose during pregnancy is present due to hormonal changes and changes in blood volume.
It disappears after 3 weeks of delivery as the blood volume and hormonal changes settle down.
Keep a check on the blood pressure. the bleeding is usually very light but If there is heavy bleeding than nasal packing is required. Otherwise nothing is to be done. An examination by an Ent specialist must be done to rule out any nasal pathology.
Any further questions are always welcome
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D