Suggest treatment for side effects of Prednisone

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Prednisone seems to cause increased urination and cloudy urine. At night I have to get up to empty full bladder 3-4 times instead of normal 0-1 times without drinking more than usual and no more liquid during night/evening. No other abnormal symptoms observed.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
check your blood sugar

Detailed Answer:

increased urine output is not one of the side effects of corticosteroids. Actually they do exactly the opposite; salt and water retention!

Corticosteroids may impair the glucose control and cause hyperglycemia. When the blood sugar exceeds 180mg/dL glucose is lost in the urine. When the glucose content of the urine increases, so does the water content. You can check whether this scenario applies to you either by measuring your blood sugar levels or by doing a urine stick test. Normally no sugar can be detected in the urine. If the sugar indicator becomes positive, then you're probably having high blood sugar causing increased urine output. Since you've mentioned cloudy urine, a urinalysis would help anyway.

Other potential causes include calcium disorders (can also be caused by corticosteroids) with increased calcium in the urine also causing increased water loss.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!