• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shortness of breath and tingling sensation in the arm

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had a stent placed in the widow maker 6 days ago, prior to that the only symptom of heart problems was occasional shortness of breath. I had a heart attack with a 95% blockage of the "widow maker". I also have another 50% blockage on the other side of the heart. The doctors said they would treat that one with drugs, diet and monitoring. I had a follow up with a cardiologist two days ago and the ekg was normal. Since the stent was put in, I have a tingling in the left arm and am wondering what would be causing it.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the tingling in your left arm could be related to the local damage to the nerves in the arm during the entrance of the coronary catheter.

Did you have a local katheter placed in this arm?

If this is the case, I would recommend performing a nerve conduction study to examine the nerves of this arm, for possible nerve compression or damage.

If the coronary catheter was not placed in this arm, I would recommend performing a cardiac stress test to examine for myocardial ischemia, although your symptoms are not typical for this disorder (the tingling sensation in the arm is more typical of a pinched nerve).

I recommend discussing with your attending physician on the above issue.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist