Suggest treatment for severe throat infection in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 4 year old 18.8 kg son has throat infection since yesterday. His pediatrician has prescribed antibiotic Adcef suspension(Cefdinir 125 mg per 5ml). She has prescribed 7ml doses twice a day.

As I was reading about dosage of Cefdinir, I learnt that XXXXXXX dosage per day is 14mg per kg. So, XXXXXXX dosage for my son is 266 mg per day.

But dosage prescribed by his pediatrician is 14 ml per day which is 350 mg per day. So I have reduced this dosage to 12ml per day(6ml twice a day) which is 300 mg per day, assuming some dosage will remain glued to measuring cap. Is 6 ml twice dosage right or should I stick to his pediatrician prescribed dosage of 7 ml twice?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may continue giving 6 ml twice a day,7 ml can also be given

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

I really appreciate your concern regarding the dosage.Cefdinir is a cephalosporin group of antibiotic and the recommended dose of 14 mg/kg/day is for acute otitis media (ear infection) caused by penicillin sensitive group of streptococci.
Although the recommended dose is 14 mg/kg/day the dose at which side effects like nausea,diarrhea,vomiting occur is much higher.
Many physician as per their experience regarding compliance give a little higher dosage.
I suggest you to continue with the dose of 6 ml twice a day as this is the recommended dose.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 9 minutes later
Thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
It's my pleasure that you found my suggestion helpful.
I shall be glad to help you out if you have any further query.

Warm regards