Suggest treatment for severe neuropathic pain caused by neurofibromatosis

Posted on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hello, I have neurofibromatosis. I have daily pain , nausia, urinary problems,bowel problems (IBS).
I reasently applied to get a cannibus card , which would enable me to get marijuana for my ailments. I have not been O.K.ed . What can I do to get help? It seems that I should qualify .
The approved Indications in NYS are cancer, HIV/AIDS, ALS, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Huntington's Disease, IBS(irritable bowel syndrome), Neuropathies. I gave them the information they requested ,and the names of my current doctors. I applied at DENT Neurologic Institute. What do i do next ? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think there is much

Detailed Answer:
The approval process can be quite a while. However, neurofibromatosis is a well-recognized cause of severe neuropathic pain
http://www.ncbi.yyyy.yyyh.gyyyv/pubmed/0000
the usual other medications for it are worse than marijuana.
documentation of 1) the condition and 2) the pain and 3) prior treatments and outcomes. Trials of simple "nerve pills" (lidocaine patches, amitryptiline, gabapentin, lyrica) will likely be required at some point.
Having all the necessary information to them is helpful. But I doubt you can speed them up. You can slow them down if they don't have enough information (in an objectively bad disease this is pretty easy; with ones in which you don't have huge painful tumors, like diabetic neuropathy, it might be harder).
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist