• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for severe menstrual cramps

Posted on Fri, 10 Apr 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello doctor, I am 36 years and suffering from menustrual cramps since 5 years and have been taking meftal spas. From last Six months my cramps have increased and also i get the mid month cramps from my 9th day till 12 th day of my cycle as I have 26 days cycle every month. My Gyno asked me to do a MRI scan and the report says I have an adenomyosis which is of 6cmx7cm at the posterior wall of my uterus. For the first two day of my periods i vomit atleast 6 to 7 times with no apetite. My Gyno told me to be on meftal-spas as my bleeding is normal. I have just started homeopathy course from one month to reduce the adenomyosis size. Still looking for an experts advise as how to control the pain? Any other remedies ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medical and surgical options explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I have seen the reports and as per your history it is evident that the cramps are very bothersome and interference with your daily routine and peace of mind.
There are two management lines -

Medical - to take meftal spas in periods and mid cycle (say 9-12) and wait until menopause.
You can add drotin tablet in case not relieved by meftal spas either.
This is indeed a conservative approach and if you feel alright with it you can continue taking it as it has no long term side effects on your body.

Surgical - This is the best option in case you have completed your family life.
Just get hysterectomy done and leave the ovaries inside body which will keep secreting normal female hormones so as to keep the tissues in good shape and vitality.

I hope I have explained you both the options but in case you have any questions related to the issue I will be glad to answer.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 16 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX Because i have the adenomyosis at the posterior wall of uterus my back ache is too much. And even thou my bladder is full i feel difficulty in passing urine because of the enlarged uterus during the cramp days. My regualr Gyno had suggested me one more option that is to take Endosis 2mg for 3 months and take a break for 7 days and i bleed. Again continue for 3 months and again take a break of 7 days.. I was little scared of taking these hormone medicines so i have not started yet. Can you enlighten me regarding this? and how is Ponstan compare to Meftal-spas? Just to inform you that, I am planning to get married in this year with the guy with whom I am sexually active. Thank you once again for your valuable time.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
oral pills advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, sorry for delay in response.
In my opinion you should not take endosis which has estrogen valerate which if given alone will cause endometrial hyperplasia and on leaving the drug you will get excessive bleeding.
Moreover there is risk of endometrial and breast cancer with the use of unopposed estrogen at your age.
Rather you should take oral contraceptive pills like XXXXXXX or crisanta which has both estrogen and progesterone and thus Maintain normal hormone levels in body along with benefits of contraception.
Adenomyosis is a difficult to treat disease by medical methods so once you settle in with your partner and feel like planning for a baby do it at the earliest.
And after completing your family opt for hysterectomy at the earliest because that is the only complete cure possible.
Till then keep using oral pills after diacuaaing with your gynecologist, which will help to relieve your symptoms to some extent and will not harm.
Post an and meftal spas are same drugs from different brands so you can take any of them.
In case you have any questions in future you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/drmanishajain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Manisha Jain


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 5136 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  MRI

doctor1 MD

my wife s MRI plain and contrast reports- a non enhancing cystic lesion in left anterior parietal region? prominent perivascular space. what to do....

doctor1 MD

I took a fall in 08 about 9 ft landed on buttocks, did some damage to my back, since then my autonomic system has been have issues, from forgetting...

doctor1 MD

i have tremors on left sie,shoulder,arm,hand,leg and toes,up all nite.neuroti 100mg. does not help.dr.scheduled an mri and eeg.....he is taking ln...

doctor1 MD

helo, I am having a query regarding the fibroids, 3 months back i had a laproscopic myomectomy and dotors said they have removed all the fibroids....

doctor1 MD

For past 12+ hours, I’ve had left side pain from left pectoral up through left shoulder and down my left arm to my hand. Sharpest pain is in...

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Manisha Jain
  • Q - How to get pregnant in old age?

  • Q - Does taking I-pill affect future pregnancy?

  • Q - Suggest home remedies for anemia

  • Q - Do I need to use contraceptives after a tubectomy?

  • Q - What does these ultrasound of cervix indicate?

  • Q - What is a complex ovarian cyst?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling in clitoris due to an UTI

  • Q - Suggest treatment for anxiety and severe depression

  • Q - Does non-penetrative sex lead to pregnancy?

  • Q - What do small cluster of yellow spots near the vagina indicate?